Link to NC Department of Health and Human Services Link to Division's Facility Search Site
DCDEE Home Page
Click here to access Parents section Providers Section Click here to access County section
Providing Child Care Star Rated License Provider Forms Professional Development Provider Contacts Provider Resources
Regulated Child Care in NC
Licensing Requirements
Department of Public Instruction (DPI) Operated Programs
Care for Children Receiving Subsidy
Providing Child Care FAQs
Market Rates
Subsidy Rate Calculator
Child Care Handbooks
Child Care Development Fund

Line Image Providing Child Care FAQs Line Image
I am a licensed Family Child Care Home provider and I will be moving into another home in a couple of months. What must I do in order to continue offering child care?

At least 30 days prior to your move you should contact your child care consultant and let him or her know your plans. You will need to provide the new address as well as the tentative moving date. If the date changes, you should keep the consultant up to date so that your current license is not terminated too soon. As you move into your new location you need to make sure that all Family Child Care Home requirements are met so that when a visit is made to assess it, there will be no delays in processing your license. If you have questions about certain aspects of the new location, ask your consultant prior to your move.

Are annual TB tests required of all providers in a Child Care Center or Family Child Care Home?

In the last few years there was a change in the rules so that caregivers are only required to have a TB test prior to providing care. Included in that change was the requirement that any substitute or volunteer, whether or not counted in staff/child ratios, must also have a TB test. While the rules don't require the annual TB test, the Division can request an additional test be completed if there are specific concerns about a provider's health. Also, a child care program can always require annual TB tests as part of their annual health requirements for staff, even though the state does not.

I am planning on buying new playground equipment for my program. Do you have any recommendations about what to purchase?

Before you make any large purchases of equipment or materials it is best to speak with your child care consultant. While they can not provide a specific product recommendation, they will discuss with you the rule requirements for specific types of equipment. This includes age appropriateness of different pieces, placement of the equipment, and possible need for resilient surfacing and fall zones. If you do not talk with your consultant prior to buying and installing a large piece of equipment you run the risk of having to make modifications once a visit is made and the consultant evaluates the piece. Good resources for information on playground safety are the Consumer Products Safety Commission web site and the web site for the National Program for Playground Safety.

I would like to open a Summer Day Camp. Do I have to be licensed?

The law exempts seasonal recreational programs from being licensed as long as your program operates for less than four consecutive months. However, if you want to receive payment through the Subsidized Child Care Program, then you will need to be licensed. Application packets are generally available in February. Contact the Division at 800.859.0829 and ask to speak to a customer service representative.

Are all teachers at a child care program required to have a Criminal Records Check (CRC)?

All staff employed at a child care program must complete a CRC when first hired. Staff is defined as teachers, administrative staff, van drivers and cooks. In a Family Child Care Home, the provider, as well as any household members over 15 who are present when children are in care, must also complete a CRC. Volunteers at child care programs are not required to complete a CRC, although it can be the policy of the program to review a local history check from the Clerk of Court's office for any individual. Additional program policies could also include reviewing a local history check annually for all staff although this is not a licensing requirement.

NC.GOV NC Race to The Top Early Learning Challenge

2201 Mail Service Center | Raleigh, NC 27699-2200
919-527-6335 | 1-800-859-0829 (In State Only)

Top of Page